Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Be bolder...maybe

I have been challenged of late through several book, devotions and Bible studies to take my walk with Jesus to another level.  I am content with "lifestyle evangelism" and I love the poster on the wall of a church that says something to the effect of  "Go and preach the gospel everywhere, when necessary use words."  I am not comfortable with preaching at people, unless I am the teacher at that moment. 

I believe God calls us all to a unique purpose and gives us the gifts and talents to accomplish that purpose.  Fortunately, I have no gift or desire to be a sidewalk preacher.  But how do I step out of my comfort zone and become bolder for Jesus, without becoming judgemental or obnoxious?  I have said I want to be so full of God's Spirit that I cannot help but splash on to other people around me.  But what if they don't want to get wet?  I want to be the refreshing sprinkle on a hot day when you want to cool off or the light that helps you see better.  Not the wet blanket on a dreary day or a blinding beam of light that hurts your eyes.  I want to teach my children that Jesus loves them and He died so they can have a relationship with Him, not a religion.  I also want to teach them that going to church and being in a Christian community is importantl.  Rituals and tradition can bring profound comfort and significance to worship, as long as they do not become the focus themselves.  I want to go to heaven, and I want to take some people with me.

So how do you balance being bolder and wanting more of God's presence in your life without scaring people off or offending them?  Unfortunately, in some cases, it is going to happen no matter what.  I think the key lies in wisdom and obedience.  God promises to give wisdom to those who ask and wisdom is not just book smarts.  Wisdom is common sense and discernment.  It is knowing not only what to say, but when to say it, how and sometimes who.  Sometimes we are not the best messangers, which can be extra tough in families.  Then there is the obedience thing.  I admit that I have been educated way beyond my level of obedience.  There are many times when I feel God's urging, but it is not convenient, comfortable or I just flat out do not want to do it.  I am trying to listen and act more often than I ignore and sit still.  So if God wants me to step out, I need to listen to what He wants me to do.  Not what someone else thinks I should do or what God wants someone else to do.  I need to do what I am asked to do, when I am asked to do it.  Whether that be to speak up or step back. 

No comments:

Post a Comment