Thursday, May 17, 2012

The Turtle

There is a box turtle in our yard and apparently my little dog, Gypsy, feels this is a massive threat to her teritory.  From the ferocious barking and intense attacking, one would think evil itself had come to invade our precious kingdom. 
You have to understand, we have 2 dogs, a lab, Godiva and the terrier, Gypsy.  Godiva really could care less about the other critters in our yard.  She only mildly appears interested in a deer if they are close enough to nibble on her fur (they eat just about everything else in my yard so why not the dog?!).  Gypsy however is on a constant vigil to rid the yard of every bird, squirrel, mole, deer, frog, lizard, beetle and especially turtles.  One would think this is an exhausting job, but Gypsy has the energy for it.  The first time I heard her battling a turtle, I was very alarmed.  All this vicious growling and barking, lunging and digging must mean she found a monstrous creature.  My first thought was a snake, since dinosaurs are extinct and komodo dragons are not indiginous to Virginia.  Imagine my relief and humor at discovering it was a box turtle, shut tight in it's shell under a bush.  She found a turtle the other day while I was working in the yard, and it had the nerve to stay around to be discovered again today.  After recognizing the familar battle cries I told her to leave it alone and shooed her away to terrorize another section of the yard.
Then it occured to me - how many times do I do similar things in my life?  I worry and fret over small insignificant things or I explode over a simple mistake?  Granted, that mole hill really did look like Mount Everest at the time with no sleep, junk food and hormones raging.  And turtles can do some real damage, just look at a large snapping turtle.  But sometimes I need to take a step back and see if my response is truly warranted.  I probably do look like my dog, Gypsy, at times.  God probably grins, shakes His head and says to leave that turtle alone and focus on something more important.

No comments:

Post a Comment