Thursday, September 30, 2010

Balance, The tightrope walker

One of the big words in my life is balance.  Not that I feel I have acheived it by any stretch of the imagination.  I had a friend over today and spent half the time running the kids to school because of a delay and then a teacher conference.  Good thing she still loves me no matter what.  That will be a blog for another day.
As I think about balance, I have the image of a tightrope walker.  They are usually trying to get from point A to point B on a narrow path.  We seldom have the luxury of a wide path in life.  There are many things that can distract us and always something to do.  But more importantly, the tightrope walker always keeps moving.  They don't stand still.  They keep putting one foot in front of the other and have something to help them balance, like a pole.  They are constantly shifting their weight or the weight of the pole to stay safely on the rope.  I have watched tightrope walkers at the circus and they are amazing.  If you notice though, they are rarely, if ever, completely still for an extended period of time.  How much like life! 
At one point I thought balance in my life would be just the right amount of activity and relaxation, with time to accomplish great things and enjoy quality time with my friends and family.  It would flow easily with little to no stress and then I could just coast.  Then I woke up!  More and more I am realizing that balance is a constant shifting of priorities, activities, people, etc. Life doesn't stay still and neither can I.  Thank God for the safety net of friends and family when things do get off balance and you are headed for a big splatt on the ground.
So keep moving, keep shifting and enjoy the view!

1 comment:

  1. And thank the Lord He is there if we do fall off and are headed for a big splat! He is always a present help of need indeed!

    ReplyDelete